New opportunity to register as an osteopath with General Osteopathic Council (GOsC)
Individuals who did not apply for registration with the GOsC in the initial registration period (1998-2000) now have the opportunity to join the Statutory Register of Osteopaths.
Under new powers acquired by the GOsC set out in Section 3(6a) of the Osteopaths Act 1993, a person may able to register if the following criteria are met:
- s/he obtained a qualification in osteopathy in the UK before 9 May 2000;
- s/he practised as an osteopath before 9 May 2000;
- s/he has not practised as an osteopath in the UK on or after 9 May 2000;
- s/he has good reason for not having made a successful application for registration during the initial registration period, and
- s/he is capable of the competent and safe practice of osteopathy.
Applicants will be assessed using a staged process in order to minimise their costs. The period during which such applications may be made closes on 31 December 2010.
Anyone who believes they meet the criteria above can find further information and download an application form from the General Osteopathic Council website at:
Added: 2009-10-22 00:00:00.0
Back to news page
Search the Register
To find a local complementary therapist, enter your own postcode or town/city and select how many miles from there that you want to search.
You can narrow your search by selecting a particular type of therapy from the drop down list.
Alternatively you can search for a therapist by name.